Current to version 3.2.1 for Mac and 3.2.8 for iOS
WriteRoom for Mac:
Upgrade your WriteRoom license for version 3.0 from this page (more details on page).
1. Where is my license key, it never showed up in my email inbox, or the Resend Licenses page says it doesn't recognize my email?
- First, if you purchased WriteRoom from the Mac App Store, Apple's service handles the license. You won't need to enter a license key.
- Second, please check your spam box.
- Third, you may have selected 'keep my email confidential' when you purchased WriteRoom. This causes Google Wallet to create a randomized forwarding email as part of your license key account, not your actual email.
- Fourth, if you can't find the license key email in your spam box, please contact me and we'll get it sorted out.
- Please note: Licenses are not transferable between the website version and the App Store version.
2. Why isn't my license key working?
- Please make sure that you're copying both the User Name and License Key 100% as it appears in your license email. The User Name must match exactly as it appears, including capitalization.
- Check to make sure you are using the correct license for the version. WriteRoom 2 uses a different license than WriteRoom 3.
- Download and run this custom script to reset your preferences and registration data.
- If you still can't get the license to make the OK button clickable, try a complete clean uninstall (with a tool like AppCleaner) and then re-install from a fresh download of WriteRoom.
3. The newer versions of WriteRoom won't run on my older system (10.4, 10.5, 10.6). Where can I download older versions of WriteRoom?
Please see the Release Notes page, where you can find the download links. 2.3.7 is the last version to run on 10.4 Tiger, and 2.5.2 is the last version to run on 10.6 Snow Leopard. Please note that the website store only sells licenses for WriteRoom 3 and these new licenses will not work with WriteRoom 2.
4. Why isn't WriteRoom 3 remembering my recent documents or which theme I used on each document?
Check to make sure you have Lion's Resume feature turned on: System Preferences > General > enable "Restore windows when closing and re-opening apps". If you don't want to use the global setting, here are some third-party options:
5. How do I set up Dropbox sync between the Mac and iOS versions of WriteRoom?
Make sure all your devices are looking at the same WriteRoom documents in the same location in Dropbox (and with the same Dropbox account for most setups).
On your iOS device(s):
- In WriteRoom, go to Settings (gear) > Dropbox
- Point WriteRoom at the link folder you'd like to use
- Default folder path: /WriteRoom
- Link to Dropbox Account.
On your Mac(s):
- Make sure the Dropbox client is installed
- Look for (or create) the 'WriteRoom' folder inside of Dropbox's folder
Just make sure your documents are in that folder and you're done!
- Default folder path: ~/Dropbox/WriteRoom
WriteRoom for iOS:
Known Issues for WriteRoom 3.2.8 on iOS 7
- TextExpander snippets do not expand: TextExpander support is not currently working under the TextExpander SDK in the current version. It will be working again in the new major version.
- Selecting any font will choose Helvetica: No known workaround yet, it will be fixed in the new major version.
- Tapping to open the keyboard scrolls to bottom of document: The workaround is to turn off "Detect Links" in Settings gear > Advanced.
6. Can WriteRoom for iOS do rich text formatting or read/edit RTF or DOC files?
WriteRoom for iOS only handles plain text, not rich text files or formatting.
7. How do I un-delete a file or folder?
If you're syncing with Dropbox, you can use their website to un-delete files and folders, or revert to previous versions (free accounts are limited to 30 days of file history, see this Dropbox page for more information). It's also possible that you can recover deleted documents by using iTunes device backups, but rolling back to a previously saved backup will have wider implications for your other data since the last backup.
8. WriteRoom keeps crashing when I launch it. How do I fix this?
- Note:WriteRoom 3.0 requires iOS 4.3+
- Option 1: Quit WriteRoom from the multitask tray (Apple support page) and relaunch.
- Option 2: Turn on Airplane mode, launch WriteRoom, and unlink from Dropbox. Turn off Airplane mode, go back to WriteRoom, and relink to Dropbox.
- Option 3: Delete WriteRoom and reinstall from iTunes. If you're not syncing with Dropbox, make sure you have backed up your documents using iOS File Sharing.
- Option 4: Delete WriteRoom and reinstall from the App Store. As before, make sure your files are backed up elsewhere if you're not syncing with Dropbox.
Corner case: If WriteRoom continues to crash after you re-link from Dropbox, check your folder names. For a very small set of people, having periods in folder names seems to create a problem. It shouldn't, and we can't reproduce it yet. It might work for you, though, so please rename these folders on the Dropbox website or on your Mac/Windows computer.
9. When I open my document on my computer, why can't I see my accented characters and other special characters?
Set your text editor to open and save in UTF-8 encoding. In TextEdit for Mac, go to TextEdit menu --> Preferences --> Open and Save.
10. On my Windows PC, why is my document suddenly just a block of text? The paragraphs and linebreaks that I see in WriteRoom are missing.
You'll need to use a text editor, such as Wordpad or Notepad++, that understands UNIX-style linebreaks, not just Windows linebreaks.
11. The keyboard sometimes doesn't open reliably when I tap to edit. How can I fix this?
In Settings --> View, turn off 'Detect Links.'
12. Why are all my synced files removed from my device when I unlink from Dropbox?
If all your documents remained after unlinking and you later re-linked to Dropbox, this would also upload all the device's files and result in tons of file duplication and conflicted copies. That is also why your synced files are removed, but your unsynced files remain because they haven't had the chance to sync up with the Dropbox servers yet. Your synced files are still safe on Dropbox's servers.
13. Sometimes I can't close an alert that pops up while I'm writing. How do I dismiss it?
Press the Home key, dismiss the alert from the home screen, and re-enter WriteRoom. Sorry about this one, it's not as straightforward as we had hoped. We haven't been able to reproduce this ourselves, but we do know that a number of our customers have been running into it. Sorry, it might take us a while until we know exactly where to look in the code, and that requires reproducible steps for us.
14. Can I customize the margin width on the iPad version of WriteRoom?
No, sorry. We don't have current plans to add that for right now.
15. I am getting alerts saying "Dropbox is unreachable." How do I fix this?
- Sometimes force-quitting and then relaunching the app can fix this issue. Close the keyboard on your document to make sure it's saved. From the Home screen, force-quit the app from the multitasking tray and then relaunch.
- It may also be a brief service issue with Dropbox's mobile API (which may not affect the official Dropbox app). In this case, it's a matter of waiting until it's working again on Dropbox's side.
16. How can I get the cut/copy/paste/word count popover to display when I'm using an external Bluetooth keyboard?
Go to Settings (gear icon). Go to the Advanced section, and turn off the Extended Keyboard row.